eRoDe Generative Art

eRoDe 1



eRoDe


I conceived of a simple image in my mind that was a rounded rectangle with a wavy contour that would be gradually eaten away over a succession of images, to convey a sense of erosion.  I started with the name erosion which I shortened to erode; erode is an interesting word when viewed visually, as it is nearly an anagram/symmetrical.  I realized that a camelback version of the word erode (written as eRoDe) was perfect because it conveyed the semantic and graphical sense of the art, and in fact it's a one word concrete poem.

I created a function that would enable me to generate a rounded rectangle with various dimensions and rounded corners, the points of which will serve as the skeleton.  A generative aspect of the function is that it allows for random variation in the length width and radii of the corners.

screenshot from vpype viewer of a rounded rectangle function output serving as the skeleton of eRoDe 
 

I sample points along this contour and add some noise to shift their center points slightly. I draw concentric circles as a polyline created by sampling points from a circle of a given radius and connecting those with a short lines.  Second, I make connecting lines between overlapping circles, to decrease servo motion required.  With each iteration of erosion, I random delete some of the circles, and their radii decrease in a defined manner.  I opened a couple of output svgs in Inkscape and split into three files and plotted with 3 shades of blue or red.

close up view of an area of eRoDe 1

eRoDe 2


The program I wrote to create this art can be downloaded from my google drive:




Disclaimer
The author does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information on this site is strictly at your own risk, and the author will not be held liable for any losses and damages in connection with the use of this information.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Comments