Mother's Day Faux Stained Glass Dogwood Flower Art




This blog entry is about some art I made for my Mom for Mother's Day last year (2021).  I am posting this to document the project and to make the STL file available to others with enough lead time if they want to make this project for this year's Mother's Day.

I created the design in Fusion 360 and exported the STL.

Screenshot of Mother's Day Faux Stained Glass Outline in Fusion 360


I 3D printed the frame out of white PLA.  I used aquanet hairspray to attach a piece of waxed paper to a 12 inch mirror glass and then used more aquanet hairspray to affix the 3d print to the wax paper.


3D printed Faux Stained Glass Frame Attached to Wax Paper on Mirror Glass

I then placed some aluminum bar stock I had to help hold the frame down.  I mixed up 2 part epoxy and added a few drops of acrylic paint to create a given color.  I experimented with the amount of paint to add to make sure the epoxy would set up with this added and that the desired translucency/color was achieved when set up.  Over about a week, I made up small batches of epoxy tinted with paint and I then used either 10cc disposable syringes or 1 cc spring with a needle for the lettering to fill in the sections, one color per day.  If a small area of epoxy leaked under a border, I would use a cotton tipped applicator to clean it up.


Filling in the frame with epoxy

More areas filled in



All areas filled in



Finished, Early Morning Illumination by Daylight, the colors look brighter in full sun



I tied a piece of fishing line to a suction cup from amazon and sent to my mother.  She liked it.  Mom has it hanging on the stationary half of their sliding glass door.  I will post the STL below.  You can use the design I made or maybe this write up will inspire you to make your own faux stained glass art piece.


Disclaimer
The author does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information on this site is strictly at your own risk, and the author will not be held liable for any losses and damages in connection with the use of this information.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Comments