VISCOUS, Pen Plotter Art with Elliptical Distortions of Sine Waves


Viscous 1



Moving water is captivating, like watching a kinetic sculpture that is ever changing.  I think moving water, e.g. staring at the ocean, is also soothing because it may require less subconscious processing of information and promotes a meditative reflective state for the conscious mind.  I started this art project trying to model a serene visual representation of a stream of water flowing around some boulders in its path.  I started with a foundation of sine waves of various amplitude and frequency and y intercepts to create the water as the background canvas.  I varied the starting and end points of the sine waves to make the drawing more organic.  I modeled the boulders in the stream as some random points with each point being the center of an ellipse of random height and width.  When the waves interact with those points causing distortions in the waves they become displaced around the contours of ellipses, as water would flow around an obstacle in its path.        

When I viewed the results as this project progressed along, it didn't convey to me what I was originally going after with my mind's eye but I wasn't disappointed because instead I created something else that was  also beautiful and being unexpected it was exciting.  Rather than seeing water flowing around boulders, it was more of some abstract bubbles rising in a viscous solution like heavy motor oil.  Therefore,  I named this project VISCOUS.  I plotted four viscous pieces.

viscous.py python script used to create this art from my google drive

Viscous 2

Viscous 3

Viscous 4





Comments